Oh, wretched neglect.
I pulled my motorcycle, Nile, out after yet another long period of ignoring. The poor thing was covered in cobwebs and everything in the trunk was mildewed to death. I might need to buy a new trunk, it’s so bad.
But you know what? I have pulled Nile out on average only once every six months and she has never let me down. It takes a bit to start, but the battery is never dead, she never fails to eventually start, and she rides as solid as I would expect. Because I ride so little, I can never tell if she’s riding poorly or not.
But it’s now beginning to be riding season here, with the deadly heat, bugs, and monsoon rains going away. Which means it might be time to begin considering spending money on something different. The bike needs new turn signals. The rubber stalks are dry-rotted to the core and are literally crumbling apart. So, I purchased new turn signals. That will probably end up with a blog page, with pictures of the whole process. And then, I’ll do the front signals.
In order to change out the front signals, I’ll need to take the front fork apart. That requires a 22mm socket, which I don’t have. You know what that means… shopping!
So, long story short, a 22mm socket is $7 at Sears. But, they had a 255-piece tool kit on clearance that included a 22mm socket for only $180. The decision was pretty easy. See, the last time I bought tools was probably about 15 years ago. It was an entry-level Craftsman socket set. That set served me very well for all those years, but taken as a whole, my tool collection was pretty poor. The sockets were “organized” in ziplock bags, the wrenches were incomplete, random, china-made castoffs. Despite having a massive two-level rolling toolbox, I didn’t have any way to organize my tools.
Now with this set, every piece has a molded place in a removable tray. My wrench set is fully complete and my socket set is expanded. The kit makes the task of replacing the motorcycle turn signals a breeze, knowing I have the exact tools I need right at hand. I don’t have to fish around for the right sockets or wrenches (usually discovering that the size I need is not in my collection). Most importantly, finishing up means returning each piece to its proper place. This will make me more productive in the long run. It’s the same premise I based my office redesign on. (future post spoiler) And despite having more tools now, having a cohesive set makes it seem like it’s one unit, instead of sets of sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers.
But, back to the bike. I have changed out the rear signals and I have been riding more. I did recently get soaked to the bone on one ride home from work – just like the good ol’ days. And I still can’t complain that Nile has been rock-solid for me.